Are you considering investing in a home security system but confused about what exactly they are or how they work? Home security systems are networks of connected devices such as alarms, cameras, and sensors that keep us and our families safer by notifying us of danger from burglary and home intrusion. A home security system is a necessary measure for any family wanting peace of mind that comes with creating a safer home. This article will be your guide to how these security systems work, how they can be installed, and their pros and cons.
How does a security system work?
A control panel acts as the hub or central computer of the security system. All of the settings and controls are accessed through this point. A control panel is a central place where you can arm or disarm the system. When a sensor is triggered, the panel will trigger an alarm or notify any security company that monitors your network.
A high-decibel alarm is a multipurpose tool for keeping your home safe. When the alarm is triggered by something like a window being broken, a very loud noise will come from one or more speakers that can be placed on the interior and exterior walls. This serves not only to let you know that someone is trying to break in but also to alert your neighbors as well as scare off the intruder.
Motion sensors are an invaluable part of the security system as they create an invisible zone that cannot be entered without triggering the alarm. These can be activated at night or while you are away to keep you safe. Motion sensors are commonly placed in areas of the house that contain a safe or valuables or the entryway when not expecting anyone.
Cameras are an essential part of the whole system that can now be connected via a wireless Bluetooth connection or a wired connection. The cameras serve to keep watch over your home when you aren’t there or from the safety of a secure room in your home. Surveillance cameras can record activity, making it much easier to identify and prosecute any intruders to your home.
Yard Sign and Window Stickers
These are an important aspect of any home security system as they advertise more than just the company that set p your system, but that your home is not an easy target for burglary. Make sure that these signs and stickers are easily visible to any would-be intruders to your property.
Want to make sure your home is as secure as possible? TriStar Security Systems offer unparalleled service to homeowners — take a look at their home security options.
Can You Install Security Systems in Apartments?
Yes! Apartments are in need of security systems just as much as any house and there are options for renters to keep themselves safe with these systems as well. Often, apartment complexes will have their security features such as video intercoms, but you can install a DIY system in your apartment that enables you to monitor your apartment. Make sure that whatever you install will not cause too much damage to your walls to ensure you don’t jeopardize your security deposit.
Related: Popular Home Security Systems
Do Home Security Systems Work?
Home security systems are proven to keep your home safer. Only 17% of households have a home security system installed, but homes without one are 300% more likely to be burglarized. This is a drastic difference from taking the proper precautions for your safety. Home security systems work by alerting us when something is wrong, sounding alarms, and keep an eye on your home when you can’t be there.
Home Security System Pros and Cons
- Swift contact with emergency services – Home security systems that are monitored professionally or by the homeowner will have a faster response time to notify police or emergency services of any break-in. During a home invasion, seconds may mean the difference between life and death. Or, if you are not at home, 911 can be contacted on your behalf.
- Deterrence of Burglars – The mere presence of a home security service is enough to deter most burglars because they know the chances of them being caught will skyrocket. Many can tell, however, if you have signs and stickers set up with no actual system.
- Alerts of activity – Being in the know when it comes to your home is always desirable, and having a home security system can notify us of more than just break-in attempts. Whether you accidentally left a door or window open, if carbon monoxide levels are high, or if you had a package delivered, you can get a notification on your phone.
- Discounts on Insurance – The statistics on how heavily security systems affect break-in rates are so telling that home insurance company will often give a lower rate to those with them installed.
- Expensive equipment – Systems can have moderately expensive components depending on what you would like to install. There are many options for how in-depth you want your system to be, so keep that in mind. On average, systems can cost around $400, but that pales in comparison to the average cost of a burglary — almost $2,500!
- Monthly monitoring fees – Those who opt to have a professional service to monitor their home will have a monthly fee involved with that. These fees can range from $10 to $50 and up.
- False alarms – These can be annoying and loud for both you and your neighbors if, say, a stray cat tripped a motion sensor. However, better to have a false alarm than no alarm when you are in need of one.
Want the best home security system from trusted professionals? TriStar Security Services offers the most experience at the highest value — get a consultation today!
Getting a home security system installed is a sure-fire way to improve your home’s safety and that of your family. Be sure to do your research on the best professional home security companies.